It's great having a plan, but sometimes the plan just doesn't go ... well, to plan. And that's been the story of this week. For starters ...
I placed an order through Ebay for ESP - Easy Surface Primer. This is the stuff that makes it possible to paint on any surface. The tin I had was too old and had been subjected to extremes of temperatures, so I ordered a new pot. The only trouble is, not all suppliers are good at doing prompt delivery after taking payment, and so nearly 2 weeks after ordering I had to put the matter into the hands of Ebay ... and lo and behold the very next day the order arrived.
This delay means I couldn't get on with preparing and painting the unit doors. Mr B&T did manage to get the ceiling done for me, and what a job he's done. The ceiling is made of tongue and groove, and there were a lot of gaps in it, so Mr B&T filled in every single one of those gaps and holes, creating a much better looking ceiling. Mind you, he wasn't terribly impressed with me when I told him that the usual white paint would not suffice. In this case, I told him, the ceiling is going to be Natural Calico by Dulux (obviously in the Kitchen range - that bit kept him happy). It's not white, and for him, a ceiling is always white.
As a result I thought it best if I compromised on some other aspect of the design, as I know I'm pushing him considerably. After all, we're going from a white kitchen with pale blue walls and a white ceiling, to a green kitchen with green walls. Another aspect of the design he has been struggling with has been the choice of tiles. Pink. And in truth he's not really a pink kind of man. So I went off in the hunt of a different tile that he might find more palatable (no pun intended on a kitchen transformation!) I'm actually thrilled (no, truly, I'm excited about this!) that I found something in Topps Tiles that goes beyond what I could have hoped for. It goes much better with the green, far better with the worktop, and exceptionally well with the door handles. This is what I found ...
I'm usually a believer that compromise leads to nobody being happy (that comes from a sofa we bought in the 90's that we discovered years later neither of us liked, but we'd agreed to buying it because we thought the other like it. Oh dear!), but in this case, the process of compromise has lead to collaboration and a better outcome for the room. I'm also happy to report that Mr B&T is extremely happy with the new pink tiles. Result.
One final piece of the design jigsaw - I found the lights I want. It's not been easy because we can't get behind the false ceiling, so we're a little stuck with the positioning of the lights. And of course, the lady who had the house before us put the lights in a not so sensible position as they're really close to where the wall unit doors open. But these lights have the right kind of retro look to them that I was after, and they fit to the ceiling in the same way the current lighting does (we think!). Which means that they give the right look, and should fit. Phew ... let's hope I'm right with this. Oh, and they're not very expensive at all at just £46 each (and I only need 2 sets of the 4 lights) and they're only from B&Q.
So not a week of major progress in terms of the work and transformation, but definitely a week of progress in terms of the design, which means, even if we're not finished by the end of the One Room Challenge period, we will at least end up with a room we both love and enjoy spending time in.
If you want to find out how other Guest Participants are doing in the One Room Challenge, or follow the Featured Influencers, click the button below.